Wilmington Birth Injury Lawyers
Nothing is more precious than the life of a newborn child. While most OB-GYNs and midwives practice with the utmost care, mistakes may still be made during pregnancy, the birth itself or in post-delivery natal care. When those mistakes result from medical negligence, Rhine Law Firm, P.C., is there to help families pursue justice. Our Wilmington personal injury lawyers have the insight, experience and dedication to help families recover full and fair compensation for birth injuries to a child or mother caused by medical malpractice.
Most birth injuries arise from negligent or improper monitoring of the mother and baby during delivery. If doctors or midwives fail to recognize signs of distress during the birth, the results can be catastrophic. We handle birth injuries arising from:
- Errors in fetal heart monitoring
- The failure to order a cesarean section (C-section) when required
- Oxygen deprivation, which can lead to infant brain injury or long-term disabilities like cerebral palsy
- Shoulder dystocia and the resulting brachial plexus injuries
- Improper use of vacuum or forceps
- Other delivery complications
In addition to compensation for any long-term problems, most families also simply want answers about what happened in the delivery room. As your advocate, we can get those answers and explore all of your available options for holding negligent care providers and hospitals legally and financially accountable.
Birth injuries are not limited to the delivery room. Your doctor has the duty to diagnose and treat complications during pregnancy, such as gestational diabetes, ectopic pregnancy, pre-eclampsia and infections, that could harm the fetus wherever possible. Your doctor should also take your medical history into account. Certain anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants have been known to cause congenital heart defects, persistent pulmonary hypertension in a newborn (PPHN) and other issues.
Our attorneys can help you explore whether your child's condition was the result of negligent prenatal care. We will explore all of your legal options for holding negligent doctors or hospitals accountable for any resulting medical treatments, long-term care and diminished quality of life, if applicable.
We invite you to contact us by calling (910) 772-9960 or (866) 772-9960 toll free to discuss your case with one of our experienced Wilmington birth injury attorneys. Office hours 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Evening and weekend appointments also available.
- What Parents Need to Know About a Birth Injury and Negligence
- Birth Injury Is an Ongoing Problem in North Carolina
- Looking for Legal Help Re Birth Injury in North Carolina?
- Infant Health - National Center for Health Statistics
- Birth Injuries in Newborns - Merck Manual
“They worked hard for me after I was involved in an auto accident. I appreciate their efforts and making me feel like family.”