What Should You Do Following a Hit and Run Accident?
It may come as a surprise that “hit and run” auto accidents are actually increasingly common. In 2015, there were 38,000 such incidents just in New York City. According to a USA Today report, nearly half of all Los Angeles-based collisions result in a hit and run. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics show that over 1,200 fatalities occur annually in a hit and run accidents and our Wilmington car accident attorneys can attest to these unfortunate statistics.
Steps to Take Following a Hit and Run Accident
- Make notes of the vehicle’s make, model, color, and license number, as well as a description of the driver;
- Do not attempt to pursue the fleeing vehicle, which may make matters worse and is a danger to others on the road;
- Contact the local authorities;
- Look for witnesses and obtain their contact information if possible;
- Take photos of the accident scene if possible;
- If injured, seek immediate medical attention;
- If any other vehicles were involved, aid the injured in seeking medical help;
- Contact your auto insurance provider; and
- Contact an experienced personal injury and accident attorney.