Injured in a Motorcycle Crash?
Because of their lack of protection, motorcyclists tend to suffer more injuries than drivers in other vehicular accidents.
At the Rhine Law Firm, P.C., we handle cases involving:
- Road rash – Road rash is a common injury for motorcycle riders. Road rash comes in different severities: from first-degree road rash, where the skin is reddened and scraped, to third-degree, where all layers of skin have been scraped off, exposing nerves and muscle beneath.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Motorcycle riders are far more likely to suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) during an accident than other crash victims. Bikers have a higher chance of falling off or being ejected from the motorcycle and hitting their head. Even when wearing a helmet, riders are still at risk of getting a TBI.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries can cause partial or complete paralysis, leaving the rider unable to work, and burdening him or her with lifelong medical expenses.
- Broken bones – The lower extremities, like the legs, are most often shattered in a crash; but motorcyclists who try to break their fall with their hands often suffer “biker’s arm.”
- Wrongful death – Sadly, there are times when a wipeout leads to the death of a rider. If your loved one has been wrongfully killed in a motorcycle accident, you have the right to hold any negligent parties accountable.
Unfortunately, most of these accidents are the result of another driver’s negligence. In fact, motorcycle riders are roughly 27 times more likely to be killed in a crash than those in a passenger car on a per-vehicle-mile basis. With the help of our Wilmington motorcycle accident lawyers, you may be able to determine negligence and receive fair compensation.
Determining Negligence in Motorcycle Accidents
Negligence is defined as a failure to act as a reasonable person would have under comparable circumstances. The individual(s) who are determined to be negligent are referred to as being “at-fault.” Often an adjuster from an insurance organization may review or investigate an accident to determine fault. North Carolina is one of the few remaining states that subscribes to contributory negligence law, meaning that if a driver has even a small (partial) degree of fault in an accident, he or she is barred from recovery of damages in most cases. It’s important to work with experienced North Carolina car accident lawyers should you be at risk of this accusation.
Many states employ a comparative negligence model where varying degrees of fault are assigned among the parties and correlate to the amount of total damages that someone may be eligible to recover. In situations of greatly contested assessments of negligence, a court of law may need to resolve the dispute.
North Carolina Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
In North Carolina you must have a motorcycle endorsement as a part of your license, and must have vehicle insurance specifically for your usage of a motorcycle. The minimum required amount of liability insurance coverage is $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident designed to cover those injured or killed when you are at-fault. An additional $25,000 is required to cover property damage that you may be responsible for.
Motorcycle insurance may include collision coverage for repair or replacement of your vehicle, and comprehensive coverage that covers incidents like theft or hail damage. Many people will also elect to add a specific medical payment insurance product and/or coverage for protection if they are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist.
“Joel Rhine and his staff did everything possible to help us in a very dark period of our lives.”
“I couldn’t have asked for a better firm to handle my injury claim. If you do not have confidence with your attorney, you need to contact Rhine Law Firm immediately.”
“Rhine Law Firm went out of their way to make sure that my mother-in-law obtains everything she is entitled to in an injury case.”
“It was a long, arduous process and we cannot thank Joel and the rest of the team at Rhine Law Firm enough.”
“Joel will make sure you are well taken care of. He will fight for you and what you deserve and go to all measures to make sure you get it.”
Contact our Firm
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation
"*" indicates required fields